Saturday, May 28, 2011

Of movies and visuals

I won't deny it, get your movie decent visuals and you pretty much bought me already. 
I enjoyed watching Tron Legacy for one reason mostly, its color scheme (the soundtrack felt like fresh air, too). That contrast of white/blue and orange/red was something I don't remember experiencing in a long time. Man, that spice alone skyrocketed the experience for me in a way the average story didn't came to bother me at all.

Maybe it wouldn't impress me this much if I wasn't getting extremely sick of digital color correction, which is making movies look bland and insipid (I really mean it, that even downgraded Inception a little for me). That brownish or blueish or greenish overall tone in movies is making me feel a little like when I smell that sickening burning brake when I'm on the road.

I've heard "movies shouldn't look like videogames" talk, which I call bullshit. They're both visual arts, and there's nothing shameful to giving your movie some interesting graphical treatment, and one shouldn't avoid making a movie look gorgeous just so it won't be compared to a game like it's the worst critic you can get. It's not like if you work the visual wisely you're bound to have childish and/or hiperactive visuals or whatever people think games visuals are (and look at how parallel the industries are: digital color correction is bringing insipidity to gaming industry too). Plus you can lose a whole lot with that limitation.

Anyway, my point here is just that I miss more movies trying "bold" color schemes (weird how the boldness would be mostly for trying) and vibrant contrasts. I fail to see how trying iconic and strong images is "a cheap trick to get dumb people to watch your movie".

I see nothing cheap and dumb about this.

No comments:

Post a Comment