Sunday, May 22, 2011

Of Testing

If one's is going to try some heuristic learning, one can't be too careful about what thoughts are about to get in. Mindtraps are always lurking around.

So whenever I find a new idea, I try looking for things that prove it to be right. Before finding examples that give it support, it's way too weak to stand on its own. Some of my strongest ideas are the ones that I can constantly find examples to prove them right (or at least acceptable), and after several layers of confirmation, they become Solid. Before that they're too... Yeah, Flacid. That name sounds amusingly fit.

There's this place where thoughts are left to be tested. As I can't trust them yet, I can't let them have any influence over me. So it's like, um, an academy. And when they get their degree, they are free to roam my mind and do their job (it reminds of those workers in Civilization that always set out to improve your grounds after an upgrade, like discovering how to make bridges or how to mine gold).

Of course, things like this always work much better in theory. I could only wish I had this much control over my thoughts. But some effort and discipline can make them work good enough.

I think I could start thinking of effort like some kind of currency...

No comments:

Post a Comment