Monday, May 23, 2011

Of Wholeness

When I'm drawing human figures, I started to realize they always get too unproportional when I don't have the Whole of them in my head. If draw the chest, then the waist, the legs, head, them all separately, when I look at the result, damn, legs too long, head too small.

If I'm drawing trees, I can easily make their twodimensional branches, like a simple silhouette. But they don't turn out to be truly believable. I have to figure out how to make branches grow out towards all directions, and have it in my head like a 3d model, otherwise I'll lose track of those 2d lines on the paper. I've realized that when I achieve that, I'll have made a huge step towards mastering it.

Same goes for the writing, when I don't have control over the whole of the subject, the very same thing will happen, things will get unproportional. I'll get awkwardly clumsy texts. Texts without that proper, flowing development. Things are going to be said randomly, without proper Milestones needed to make the journey solid.

Those Milestones, they're stand for the structure, the foundations. They're the little dots in my drawings telling me how long the arm is going to be or how far wide the shoulders are. That seems to the first step towards achieving a holistic view, getting the overall structure solid.

No comments:

Post a Comment