Sunday, May 29, 2011

Of Mindwalking

I spend too much time on the internet. I guess my mind realized I should go out more often, and then it started doing it on its own.

You see, I do that quite unconsciously, visiting places in my head. I have no control over the place my mind visits, nor the way I wander through these places. The thing is, it happens while I'm focused on something else, like typing with someone or reading a website.

The interesting part comes now: I can relate those things and recall memories that way. I can recall with almost accurate precision certain moments of my life, just by thinking of these places. There this parking lot near the main church in my city that, when I think of it, I remember Nirvana. Yeah, I was reading stuff about the band, interviews with Kurt Cobain. Damn, this was years ago. There's this bus stop near my house that allows me to recall certain bits of conversations. See, there was this time we were talking about punk vs metal with a friend of mine. God this was more than five years ago. And now I can see, there I can recall several bits of conversations with the same person, like my mind would visit the same place everytime I'd talk with her.

I guess the places are related to places I visited recently. When I was having some history classes last year, I was often mindwalking there. As this is a much more recent memory, I can recall with astounding precision some of the memories. There was this podcast I was listening about evolution in gaming, graphically and aesthetically. They were talking about Heavy Rain and how characters still look stiff and how there's a lame kiss in that game. Also I happened to listen to the same podcast talking about game soundtracks, and when my mind started wandering in the very room I was taking classes, someone was talking about a rpg inspired by Chopin. Eternal Sonata was it? This actually happened to be when I realized the mindwalking. It seems action and mindwalking seem to be more fused together in these moments of realization.

Holy shit, there are stains of memories everywhere I'm thinking. I mean, of course there are stains of actual memories of being myself in actual places, but I mean when recalling mindwalked places. It's tricky to distinguish thinking of real places from recognizing mindwalked places. As they usually are empty and usually cloudy and somewhat darker and grayish, probably all I need to do is add this filter.

Yet what I miss is recalling the course of these walkings, or being able to do them in a less random way, so recalling their course could be easier, thus allowing me to recall the whole course of the actual conversations, or the whole of memories instead of scattered, handicapped pieces. God this has an overwhelming potential, I should work harder to make this thing work fully (sweet, Sparkles have flown in :]).

Maybe I should try something I call Ungapping. I'll focus more on it in a future entry, but here it means simply doing things the opposite way, so to fill in gaps. I can't guarantee it will work, but I could make an effort to think of conversations (preferably fresh and intact ones) or relistening to podcasts while trying mainly to recall mindwalked places, specially their courses. You see, making the journeys parallel so I can filling the gaps in  the least developed one. Hm, a process quite like analogy.

And if could trace any pattern of mindwalkings, I can improve the retrieval of memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment