Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Of pressure

I've missed one important word in my last entry: pressure.
I've grown too weary of being under pressure, even when it's not really too hard. I guess the word intolerant was the right one in the end. It's like when you're too pissed off with someone and even the most harmless misusing of a word boils your blood. Anyway, I should've said that in in the proper entry. My point here is a different one: we love the pressure.

There's some redeeming thing about some things that we can't bear, right after they are over.
I remember once playing this game, Psychonauts, and getting extremely upset with the insane increase of difficulty towards the end of the game. I've cursed every person related to that game for being such assholes who allowed that great game to become a great pain in the ass (especially that circling net catching fire). And I've almost given up, but in the name of Pride, I've made it. Soon after I've finished the game, though, all the harsh memories almost disappeared. I feel too cautious to use the word rewarding, because it sounds like it's more than that. That was the moment when I truly realized how our memories aren't to be trusted.

Anyway, same goes for every little thing that has ever stressed us to the point of making our hair fall. That relationship that was the very incarnation of hell suddenly becomes memories of things that were worth living. How could it not be? All the frustration when you're working so hard developing a skill and get desperately stuck once in a while... we'll all remember it with a smile.

I guess the pressure makes our lives more interesting. It changes our perception of time and reality and makes everything more desirable. The thought of food and sleep makes us crave for them. It makes us be more... well, I don't know, alive. We feel life more intensely, I guess. Maybe that's why we remember these moments with fond.

And then, after enjoying the relief of having a huge ammount of stress disappear in the glory of an accomplishment, we'll eventually miss that sweet challenge, even though sometimes it wasn't really sweet. Eh, maybe we're doomed to keep going through hell every once in a while and then forget the painful side of it, just so that we'll accept the next journey to experience life again.

Except, huh.. what if there are traumas?

No comments:

Post a Comment