Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Of vices

Have you ever tried to walk at different paces?
One of these days I gave a look to the sole of my shoes and they pointed out conclusively that I take steps much too long, as both the very front and the very back of the soles are extremely worn-out, and everything else just ok. As I love these shoes, I wanted to extend its lifespan by wearing out the nicer parts of the sole. Since then I tried to walk slower, taking smaller steps. Unexpectedly I felt it brought some difference in my life.
I had more time to enjoy the wind riding my hair, more time for my feet to taste the ground.

It was not something uncommon to me. Sometimes I have that frustrating feeling I keep doing the same thing over and over again until it loses its groove. Do you know when you listen to too much music and one day it doesn't do you any good anymore? As I rely on music to catharse burning feelings off my chest, the sudden uneffectiveness of music (no matter how diverse I try to keep it) is something that brings me to almost panic, and I look around me looking for things to distract me. Pretty much like a drug-addict who desperately looks for something to pour into his veins.
And then I lie back having to rely on silence when it's not being really helpful. And I blame myself for wasting precious music-listening hours when I didn't really need it.

When you start playing a musical instrument, it's noticeable how we slowly develop a, say, vocabulary of techniques. When you're just starting you feel extremely limited. Further on, you'll have learned some new things. Things you'll be able to play quite well and you keep playing and repeating them over and over, because, hell, that's the only thing you know. When trying to learn something new, though, ourr fingers will struggle to learn the new techniques. Our fingers are viced.
Hopefully, eventually, when you've learned enough techniques, your fingers will grow out of resisting against new things. They will get, huh, Fluent.

No comments:

Post a Comment