Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Of routine and health

I'm not too fond of our common recreative activities. I don't know if there's any trauma or what (probably there is), but I am not your party or beach guy. Actually, most social activities somehow drain me. When going to any event where I'm going to meet people, I end up enjoying the journey there like it's the time of my life, and when I'm arriving at the place I start feeling an agony like they're depriving me from the place where I am happy! No!
Ok, I'm exaggerating it, but it has already happened like that. It was someone's college graduation. Argh, all that fancy academic procedures, all that proper way to behave and stand up and everything.

I don't like huge events. I honestly don't feel good at those places you have to behave differently than the average day. And I don't think I like any event noticeably bigger than average daily events. Yes I'm lazy and coward and I don't like taking risks, but I'm that guy who simply loves the daily routine. I enjoy simplest things of life. I like everyday going to the restaurant at my university while listening to the same podcast every evening. I like to think the memories I'll have from this time when I listen to that podcast some ten years from now.
I enjoy having time to sit quietly by a window and watch the world for hours and hours, and reflect about every little thing that makes the picture be so attractive. Also, I enjoy walking. I really do, don't you too? That single set of movements, taking one step, feeling my foot touching the ground, pushing my leg backwards, the other one forwards and dragging it backwards again. I like noticing the compass of my steps. Sometimes they match the song I'm listening to. Have you ever noticed the how much more confident you feel when taking a steady striding? Or trying to walk at different paces? Or try to get the rhythm steady as you start climbing a flight of stairs and push yourself up while jumping a few steps at once and having the risk of misstep and embarass yourself?

Routines are usually seen like a bad thing, and while I understand the point, I also see the good side of it. Sure the idea of walking is not something makes people excited, but there's so much to enjoy of the mundane life, when nothing special is happening. Have you ever stopped during an average day, like you just awakened from stupor, and noticed that in that moment nothing is actually preventing you from being happy? All average events make me happy, like watching the sunset when you're commuting home or seeing people going home as well, seeing everything flowing. These are moments that are also going down into our memory lane just like other blockbuster moments.

You see, people value being healthy. But have you ever noticed how feeling healthy means not feeling a thing? You just know something is not right in your body when you start feeling things. We don't notice things as they are flowing accordingly. If everything is happening nicely, it's promptly ignored. We don't pay attention to our health, as we don't feel the health. If something breaks that flow, we awake from stupor and start paying attention to it when it's not working properly.

Maybe that's why we get the impression everything is always so wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment