Monday, September 26, 2011

Of Invading Waves and magical defensive skills

There's one motif I've been feeling more solid lately, waves menacing current status quo. Such waves can be impetuous forces bursting in, like a furious feeling of hate and despair (or like enemy soldiers invading castle grounds). They are forces that can be felt to be tremendously solid, building up inexorably, but are repelled and disconstructed depending on the current willingness to not let the current inner government to be brought down. These defensive forces can be simply focus and discipline, or maturity and morality.

But I've got one interesting trick to deal with minor tremors. Actually, one day I just woke up and realized I could do it (actually it has been a gradual process of realization and solidificating of the motif), a defense skill that just I just happened to be fluent already, and in fact sometimes I hardly notice when I do it. I never thought of a name for it before, though I emotionally refer to it as the feeling of having a net of some kind bouncing me back on track, so I'm calling it Protection Rail. Basically, it envolves seeing my condition as fictional of some sort, it's quite difficult to explain. The most common method seems to unload the grief into a character, and seeing it exteriorized somehow makes me feel relieved (like knowing someone who faces the same hardships as you). For example, when I find myself helplessly uninspired, there's this mental tweak that makes me involuntarily think of a character who forever lost his inspiration (so this very thought just gave me inspiration). It's an almost instantaneous process, as it happens through an emotional and barely conscious response.

Although I can't control it (therefore unsure if it can be learnable), it's incredibly useful, as my mind constantly uses it against fears haunting me. Oh, there's a character who just made one huge, unmendable mistake which ruined his life. Or the other one who gave up his dreams just too early. And, like incomprehensible magic, these tremors disappear pretty much instantaneously, it's a really amazing phenomenon. It's useful to avoid little waves that could stop my flow of thoughts. Sometimes it always work, but I don't quite know how to do it consciously, and when I do it doesn't seem to work so well. Also, it requires realization skills, as fears work behind the curtains, so I have to expose them before doing the trick. It has helped me against dozens or maybe hundreds of light ignitions of depression before.

But sometimes there are some tremors just too strong and constant that keep hitting me all the time. There are some feelings of hate and frustration too ominous, like tidal waves that bring despair with the mere sight of them (personal issues so nuclear that it's hard to fully realize them, like they're so blinding and overwhelming that the simple thought makes my heart tremble) and against them I can only tumble down. When it happens, I have to start plan B, to rise again (actually I just had the idea, analogies are so great to mend the gaps in mental strategies).

Those characters, personalization of my fears, are the perfect examples of Sparkles, but I don't quite bother keeping track of them. But it's satisfying to see those tremors (consisting of mermaids, misthoughts, dysrationalized thoughts and, well, mindtraps in general) being recycled, transformed in creative forces.

No comments:

Post a Comment