Saturday, December 31, 2011

Of being surrounded by the world

The desire to be where it's important and the consequent feeling of emptiness can also be appeased by the feeling of being connected with the rest of the world. It's after all what makes us yearn for where the civilization is, the place where we can connect ourselves with the others. Maybe it's even the reason the internet is so addicting.

Anyway, I've been finding myself shielded against the heavy onthological questions by just being surrounded by the world. Listening to traditional music and thinking of other cultures and countries seem to keep me well distracted, plus there's also a feeling of being well-fed by talking with my friends of countries like Russia, Hungary, Ireland and others.

Also I like having objects and souvenirs that remind me there's a whole big world out there. Objects that fire up my will to go out exploring and learning everything. I've got here in my room those things that can be compared to charms against the dark spells of meaninglessness. I've recently bought myself a little pretty book called World History and also a book of the illustrations of the Arabian Nights that matched my prime undertones amazingly. There's also a copy of Sun Tzu's Art of War here near my elbow and a pen cup with the picture of the New York City, near my left hand.But I still lack my greater object of desire: a world atlas to hang on my wall. With that one and other possessions this new room of mine will be my ultimate headquarter against the reality of the world trying to overthrow my passions.

No comments:

Post a Comment