Saturday, December 31, 2011

Of impressionability of art

Art doesn't have to be practical. It's a way to express yourself, not exactly something you have to be fast and efficient (though you might want to express yourself as so) as if to attend demands and industrial production. And, because of this, I think that art sometimes is about doing the hard way.

There's something about art that seems to me that, the most impressive the better. I mean, it always call my attention when when a piece of art makes me wonder on how the hell it was made. It's been a little harder to feel that with movies nowadays as the technology of CGI makes everything so easily craftable, but to emulate a war in space in a time before that makes me really admire the piece.

This idea stands out very easily in visual arts. "How did they make he fly like that?" if I'm watching a play where resources for effects are really scarce. It seems that the more you can make with the least resources, the better is the reception. "They said they didn't use CGI in Coraline, I can't believe that!", a friend told me one of these days.

Sometimes it seems to be the purpose of directors to create this impressionability in their audiences. It seems that sometimes they make those tricks like one-take scene where the same actor changes characters and outfits extraordinarily fast and the fact that it was all in one take you know that man is awesome. It's almost as if they were magicians, or if we were back in a circus having our eyes shining with the feeling of extraordinariness of the illusion.

No comments:

Post a Comment