Monday, January 30, 2012

Of Slingshotting

When opposite sides of the whole are shown, I think  that their use can be used to build up a catharsis. Exploring the guilt and redemption can bring a cathartical release if the the guilt is attached to the character throughout the whole journey. I’ve been calling such literary technique Slingshotting (a palliative name as I haven’t yet found it’s official name).

It’s interesting how the best example of Slingshotting I can remember is from playing Ocarina of Time. After you’ve played through the first three dungeons as a child (and they’re quite harmless, though I admit the Redeads pissand they’re in their own rights, quite harmless and easy-solving), you grow up and things start to get real awry, starting with going straight to the graveyard and then to that marvelously eerie forest temple. A while after we have to go back to being a child where the world wasn’t still corrupted (though only the destroyed market place and some slight changes on the rest of the world  vortexed to that), and we have to go to that well and, god I loved that wooden shield. 

Though not being really disturbed by that dungeon, as Silent Hill games trained me well, after exploring through these skull-filled sewers and redeads floating out of coffins and having those decaying arms flailing around attempting to hold Link by his head, it was incredibly relieving to climb my way back to the village and see that pretty blue sky up there, the cackling of the chicken and the relaxing Kakariko Village theme soaring again.

No comments:

Post a Comment