Friday, July 8, 2011

Of revolutions

I usually wonder about some historical matter, such as the classification of historical periods.
We had modern period, now contemporary period. I think I can feel it changing. The advent of computers and the internet can easily be as world-changing as the invention of the printing press that helped to transit the world from medieval to modern period.

And I keep thinking, what will this next age be called? Neo-contemporary? Cut this crap, this kind of classification is not working. I think each period has to be known for its own characteristics, not restrained by time-classification. For example, I think we are entering in the age of informatics, so to give it a name. The internet is changing the world, in a way or another, so this is a new time. And we can see the consequences of that. I mean, I've heard facebook and twitter weren't as influential to the Egyptian Revolution as they're claimed to be, but then we've got Anonymous and Wikileaks and how governments are feeling ominously threatened by them.

I can feel a slight hint of "revolution" (it's a strong word, but I think it's not really unfit) in a scale much closer to my reality. The teachers working for the state are currently in a on-going strike that has last for about two months now. So far as now, kids studying in public schools are at home the whole time. My mother is one of those teachers, so I quite know everything first-hand. And the state governor is trying all he can to discount these "days off" from their salaries while they're on strike, claiming the strike to be illegal. How can a protest be illegal? For all I know that's dictatorship.

'There's no more money for you, stop begging', he says. 'Go back to the classes, our kids need you'. However, the sindicate proved money destined to the state education was diverted. Still, there seems to be no agreement, no deal. The governor leaves the state for a week, so there's one more week of waiting for a next reunion and the next deadlock. That's so absurd there's an on-going an attempt of impeachment. And as far as I know, some other strikes are going on throughout the country, with some other impeachment attempts as well.

And I think internet has its own share of importance there. Not only being informed of the situation in others states give us confidence, but information keeps us united. My mother keeps herself informed through a blog of a jornalist, where she reads the comments of teachers around the state. There's all kind of rumors going on like "everybody is giving up!", so my mother says that this way it's seems to be easier to keep things organized, as the professionals can remain united and confident. With all these rumors of threats to their strike, that seems extremely important.

I think it makes sense to think the internet is being glorified as a way to have something interesting to hit headlines or something, but I do feel the potential of change in the air, though it's still underdeveloped. I'm trying really hard not to sound like I am all "yeah! it's whole new world where everything is great", because I am just not, and I even think Anonymous' letter to Nato was quite a lot romantic in its own "this is no longer your world, it is our world - the people's world" idealism, but pay attention to all those issues, how the government is always involved, this time showing up threatened.

There's a lot more to learn and reflect on this subject, but so far as now there have been my thoughts (my untested thoughts, it's worth adding), trying to figure out what's going on.

No comments:

Post a Comment