Sunday, July 17, 2011

Of Soundtracking

Music is amazing to go along reading. Every book I read has to have a soundtrack. And I always try to listen to something that has not being stained with memories already, for the soundtracked experience adds value to both the songs and the books. Reading Silmarillion when listening to Weiland, by Empyrium, brought me the best experience I've ever had with soundtracked reading. I'll never forget the difference it made to the experience, it was made unique. I also read Cornwell's Warlord Chronicles when listening to Neun Welten's Vergessene Pfade, and relistening to the songs fatally reminded me of Derfel's life. Unfortunately, I've listened to that album so many times after the reading that the memories were erased again.

But there's much more to soundtracking than meets the eye. This is an unbelievably rich source of mindscapes, soundtracking my life. They are in everyday's life. Sometimes, by letting music fuse with things I see and smell and think, sometimes they fit together like it's a shocking realization. I feel like being, for a second there, in a new place. These mindscapes are some sort of sparkles, as they last for a few seconds. For some years, I learned to taste the soundtracked mindscapes in that small moment when the world seemed to stop and everything just fit together like it was eerily intended to happen.

I guess that's where the search for nuclearity was born, because I started training to keen my eyes in spotting the elements from the landscape or my thoughts that fused with elements from the song. And as soon as the mindscape appears, I have to have a quick reflex to grab and hold on to the very elements that originated the mindscape, so I have a longer time to taste it.


As I commutte by bus, this is probably the idea I've given the biggest ammount of thoughts, so this grew to be a really complex concept, with a lot of details and variables.

No comments:

Post a Comment