Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Of Stamina

I've just discovered this artist named Zac Gorman who has a very interesting art style. I find his use of colors really inspiring. He writes some comics about Zelda once in a while. They're beautiful. And funny. Sometimes  so freaking epic.

So there I was recalling memories, tasting the art and the colors (and that atmospheric rain effect) when I noticed inspiration kicking in. It's weird, but things that make me recall my childhood can be so inspiring.

Then I noticed Link's stamina bar over there and things made sense. The connection between this feeling of inspiration with the feeling of replenishing health in the games suddenly occurred. It feels as if I could be hit and I'd still have strength to stand up and keep going.

I also realized something:

How come a game where the door of the hero's house lies carved a heart can be so epic?
Sparkles are shot from Link's sword when his stamina bar is full. Goddamn Sparkles. Coincidentally, in more recent games, like Minish Cap, I think, when the opposite happens and you're left with one heart only, Link will regain the ability to shoot those energy blasts, like some kind of desperate strength Analogizing back to the inspiration and ideas, this could very well be Calvin's "last-minute panic".

No comments:

Post a Comment