Friday, May 31, 2013

Of gems and magic

As of lately, the gems I’ve been most obsessed with are those that give me the feeling of mystery, magic and mysticism. Initially I had basically Lazulite, but then other gems were needed for some unresolved subtleties, and even other gems apparently unrelated started having interesting magical connotations.

As I’m playing with dangerous dissidences of quintessences and passing elements from one gem to another one, I think I’ll do some reviewing here. Lazulite remains to me some elements in my life that give me a unique feeling that’s difficult to explain. It’s curious how lazulite is present in several things, from colors, to sounds and also tastes. It’s in some warm food, melt butter, oily sauces, grave cello melodies and also deep and sober tone of colors.

The lullabies and sparkles of fairy magic are going to be with Jade, and the gem gets a more defined essence. This is that harmless and often innocent aspect of magic, but also something mystic, that makes me think of Mists of Avalon series of books and wiccan rituals under the moonlight. There are plenty of girls with tumblrs dealing with this theme, so I think this is also something about the feminine, so sometimes there’s Áine and Amethysts related to it too, as I look to a girl or woman with this jade intention and it’s very intriguing how easily relatable my emotional response from this feminine figure is to this aura of magic and mystery.

Along with Jade, Nephrite also needs some reconsideration. I first related it with hippie-lifestyle, but I think it has more to do with nature than just that, as I can’t help but feel this feeling I’m calling nephrite being related to irish and celtic music too (and so again I’m connected with societies that were more nature-centered and in some cases less patriarchal too) . I think Nephrite can be more about the natural life than all the others because sometimes I feel a feeling that’s at least very similar to nephrite in some suburban houses with wooden furnitures and window frames and a beautiful front garden with trees and plants (the optional presence of gnome and dwarves statues becomes slightly tinted with Jade, though). And the latest gem that came to be in the latest version, there’s Mercury, which is the world of witchcraft and wizardry, the medieval and eerie tone of smoke and stone, pentagrams and runes, herbs and potions.

Regarding some other apparently unrelated gems, there’s olivine, turquoise and silver and thomsonite. First these scents of plants and herbs which give me this mystic feeling if I’m concentrated enough, maybe it reminds me of some old women’s gardens in the city I grew up in, and I was so sure they were witches, living in hidden huts in the woods. Turquoise is connected because of its extraordinarily relaxing sound, but I don’t know much else why, maybe having this aura of new age esotericism to it, as it can be connected to the sparkles of stars. And silver is about the ancient sciences of alchemy and astrology, all these curious symbols and exquisite illustrations, in those thick, dust-riddled books that emanate this feeling like they carry a very mysterious power.

Thinking about it now, it’s no wonder I’m living in a city commonly referred as “the island of magic”, especially because of these nephrite and jade elements. There’s often as part of the culture of the place this aura of esotericism, mysticism and naturalism, especially concentrated in some parts of the town. Some witch tales are also part of the folklore of the city, especially those registered by our notorious folklorist Franklin Cascaes.


No comments:

Post a Comment