Friday, May 31, 2013

Of Gems v6.0

This is getting though, finding the elements that need their own gems. With this new version, I was still trying to work around these new dissidences and smaller elements, so the Q. Rule was still being as essential as ever, as I couldn’t just think of little things at random. The following are the next ones to be approved as gems.

First one, I’ll use Chrysotile, as the perception of human presence, from buildings to big monuments. It will be considered a dissidence of Zircon because not always this has to do with cities, and I think an abandoned city loses its appeal that gives me the emotional response I call Zircon. Chrysotile can be about a little house and also the biggest buildings, from recent skyscrapers to ancient temples. It’s almost like the presence of civilization, being some like having it impressive.

Next, I’ll try Chrysocola, as to vehicles and transportations. Like several of the chrysogems, it’s present in little things and also big ones. Bicycles, cars and airplanes. Mostly cars and buses as the most frequent vehicles we know. It’s about the design of the vehicles and also part of their interior, like the panels and seats, so it’s part of the tourmaline experience. And as something defined so intrinsically by technology as it is, Chrysocola is a gem with close relation with cobalt and basalt.

Another gem I have, and it was a tricky one, is one I’m calling Brazilianite. Being brazilian myself, it’s much present in the world that surrounds me, sometimes in little details (like lazulite and crystals) or in the overall atmosphere. This is a dissidence of Copper, mostly because there are several fractalizations inside the Brazilian culture.

And as the first dissidence of bronze, I’m having Brass, representing the military.
It’s not so much about the war, but the whole education system and hierarchy. Those military facilities are strong on brass, and parts of brazilianite seem to be defined by this too (could this be because from that military dictatorship from the 60’s?)

One other gem that is part of brazilianite culture is something I’m calling Brookite, the black culture. Some of the Brazilian art, culture, folklore and creed have the influence of Brookite, and I wouldn’t think it would have influenced me this much, but there’s also the rap music and graffiti art has made its way into my perception of zircon. Also, some dioramas I feel seem to need this gem (especially if it’s something about Rio).

And similar to onyx and lignite, I’ll have something to describe tv and production. I’ll call it Phosphide. It makes me think of these old productions, from late ‘70s or early ‘80s when those sets were dimly-lit. There’s something about watching tv shows, the television journals and cartoons or animes, the dark room having its illumination changing constantly while a incoherent sound can also be heard (there might be golden streetlights outside, and this might be either a house or an apartment, either a zircon or zeolite feeling to it).

Here is a crest of my past, as it’s only reverberations of past memories, because there’s not much school in my life anymore (I’m not sure yet if this can be applied to college). But I feel it often still, and I call it Chalk. I feel it when I see groups of kids on the bus, or then I recall themes from school, like first crushes, the games during lunch break or then rainy days and learning about colonization period in brazilian history.

Related to school and childhood, there is also the almost forgotten presence of sports. I’ll call it Enargite, for the physical activities like playing soccer or volleyball, or riding my bike, or engaging with other types of activities like mountain hiking. Personally, it  reminds me of adolescence and zircon, howlite (punk rock songs) and onyx (tonyhawk on playstation) as somehow it reminds me of the time when skateboards were, god, such a fever (though I actually never practiced).

As a complement to copal, the solid definition of time like the period of the day or day of the week or month in the year as a surrounding element to our experiences, there is Coral. This is the solid definition of reality, the exact clothes we are wearing, the exact words and thoughts we had (or thought we had or wasn’t sure of), the exact place in the room we’re standing in, the part of the city, state, country, continent we’re now in, things like that.

The next gem is about a smell. More specifically, the smell of perfumes. Finally a gem for it. Neon. This type of smell is largely meaningful due to its social and romantic implications, and it’s very closely related to carnelian and ilite, ruby and amethyst. It deserves a gem only for those scents, pretty much like having Olivine while the smell of plants, flowers and herbs could’ve been the characteristic of peridot.

This other gem is also about smells. Fluorine, in the first instance, the smell of cleansing products and disinfecting liquids, like alcohol, sanitary water, soaps and even toothpaste and shampoo. It can be close to neon, as the aromatic potential of these is very powerful. It’s probably what grants me nice zephyrous moments. And also, the emotional response I have from it is similar from a clean room, a hospital or a store. It’s related (but maybe needing a future gem for them) to these newly bought products like the smell of a new car, or this new product in a closed box, like a game and the smell of the plastic package or a book and the smell of its pages still fresh and virgin.

Being more of a forgotten essence, I decided to craft a gem for books, and it turned out to be a very powerful gem. I’ll call it Thomsonite, the stories and worlds and infinite possibilities of information that eagerly wait to unfold for us. A bookstore has this feeling to it, but it’s in an actual library that this gem is felt in its true potential. I think Thomsonite can be related to Garnet, as I think of personal libraries in a room reserved for the healthy habit of reading. The warm embrace when being surrounded by all these tomes of knowledge is priceless, and one nice remedy for loneliness and emptiness.

Regarding the darkness and shadows, I think I’ll have a gem called Dunite. It can be the early darkening of the sky before a storm or entering a dark room, so it’s not the natural darkness of night. A shadow or the artificial darkness can start becoming Dunite the moment direct illumination grows weaker, so Dunite is only truly vanquished by the almighty and direct heat of the sun rays.

As for darkness and things that are magical, I have Mercury. It’s the witchcraft and eerie aura of magic. Not the sparkling magic of jade, but the creepy part of it. It’s all the clichés, from pumpkins, bats, spider web and cauldrons to ritual and spells, robes, old ladies and crackling laughter and castle walls. It’s the story of Salem witch trials, and also a huge portion of the Harry Potter universe.

And for the last gem in this version, I’ll go with one I gave a lot of thought to it, because I wanted something to explain the terror or extraterrestrial stories, but it had to be something more universal than the space terror. I’ll go with Yttrium, for the unknown and scary, the part of our minds that is afraid of seeing eyes watching us from outside the windows. It’s in the fright of skeletons, pale beings and the rejection against Things That Should Not Be. It’s the uncanny effect of dolls and statues and strange paintings, so this can explain both aliens, murder dolls and freaky clowns.

Finally, another version is over, and fifteen new gems are added to my reliquary, adding up to a total 68 gems. And that’s making me worried, as there’s only thirty left until I reach one hundred, and each time I allow a new level of minor things to become gems, suddenly there is like twenty new kinds of candidates for new gems. I’m really afraid someday I’ll even have a gem for knives and forks.


No comments:

Post a Comment