Sunday, October 23, 2011

Of Mathematician's Eye and Referencial Lines

For some reason, some people have the utopic vision that art has to be inherently emotional and intuitive, and that a piece of art made with rules and rocket sciences is not, uh, honest or whatever. I agree art has to be honest and even have an emotional value to them, but when it comes to develop discipline and techniques and achieving precision and accuracy, I don't see why should I avoid the purest logic for art.

And using mathematical elements like, obviously, perspective, but also perpendiculars, parallels, coordinates and overall geometric concepts for composition help me save a lot of time unlike if I just avoided it because of some petty realization that thinking of the technical aspects makes the artist lose the main point of art.

This separation of emotion and logic really makes no much sense to me, I don't feel those things to be as opposite like they were goddamn rivals. Also because when using logic and reason I always noticed a certain sensibility is still needed to connect dots. So here I stablish another principle for my art (and also for my Inner Constitution too): seek to balance a Hybrid between the two dualities

And then again, I'm using mathematics mostly for the Base Line. The later layers are the emotional ones. It's like engineering, the foundations are mathematical, and the architecture, the more artistical and subjective element, are layers over it. Spices and personal elements like the Prime Undertones go on the surface layers.

The Mathematician's Eye is the solution for the Unthoughtful Lines, which are the opposite of being accurate. When I started avoiding these amauterish lines, I noticed still I was making a grave mistake, measuring the angles and lenghts on their own, instead of making them behave with the whole of the lines.

Referencial Lines are the nearby or parallel lines that guide to both the starting and ending point of the current line being drawn, as to keep proportions and areas equalized during the transference. When I ignore the drawing a line in comparison to another one, it feels loose in that space and the odds of damaging the whole of the proportions skyrockets.

No comments:

Post a Comment