Monday, October 3, 2011

Of Undercurrents

If Braudel's Framework can be explained by being linked to the sea's depth through a metaphor, the study of actual oceanic behavior can bring me information that can be channeled back through the metaphor to increase my knowledge and visualization of the more abstract thought.

Undercurrent, for instance, is "the unseen movement of water underneath the surface; its tug and motion are only perceptible upon submersion". And the same goes for mental exploration, as I'm seeing it as the abstract meaning behind everything. Just like one makes an argument based on facts and evidences, the same goes for undercurrent ideas, as they carry every significance behind thoughts and words and actions. They can be the subtext behind the the literal text, the unseen idea behind the tangibility.

As I'm having problems referring to elements in this metaphor with depth, Surface Thoughts are going to be the short-lived waves in my mind (including insignificant thoughts like "where's the other wet sock from yesterday"), the ones that shouldn't usually pay too much attention and that I shouldn't trust frequently. So Undercurrents are going to be what I feel to be broad concepts that encompass trends and tendencies of behavior. This way, Undercurrents can also be linked to what I've been recently calling motifs, those ideas that rise to my consciousness with time, as they need to happen a several times before I understand the pattern.

Acknowledging the concept of Undercurrents is important for me because looking for meaning behind everything is an obsession i've been nurturing quite unconsciously lately. Every word I've been meeting lately I spend some time thinking of their meaning, basically trying to see what new unexplored idea they could bear behind them (so my search for new words is quite literally a Treasure Hunt). In fact, I feel comfortable with the trodden ground when I deal with words I've thought deeply about my undercurrent interpretation to them. The names I use here are, therefore, definitions of undercurrents behind my Surface Thoughts, because I've settled to make this place an study of below-the-surface events.

Actually, it's seeming that the deepest into my mind I can get to name and tame an undercurrent, the more useful the motif will be, as apparently the deepest ones are as structural and influential as it can get - the deeper the more likely to encompass more Surface Thoughts. It seems that the deeper I go, the richer the treasure, the more powerful are the motifs I'll discover. This is the reason why Logistics, Naming and Nuclearity are my most powerful undercurrent motifs - they're broad and encompass basically every aspect of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment