Friday, October 7, 2011

Of Surface Reality

The last post Charged me a realization, a thought that didn't feel like belonging to that post.


I have a taste for this meaningfulness of the mundane. Historians and anthropologists are well aware of their importance, as routines and simple events carry a lot of undercurrent meaning. After all, they study societies through the most common historical sources, daily objects and literature, as they show undercurrent patterns of behavior.

But even still the mundane has this thing about being place to practically irrelevant Surface Events. I can talk for myself that spending so much time there in the Surface Reality that the important things that change the world don't belong there.

I guess this created this unconscious feeling (as it runs around my mind as an emotional response I find it hard to describe it) that historical moments happen in some quite romantic settings, not in the same dirty, sweaty reality that I live in. It's some sort of feeling that important things don't happen just anywhere, or with people that falter and things that are improvised.

The moments that impact me the most are the when I'm aware of this Surface Reality when Diving Events take place. The movies that highlight this seem to work better for me, and I like Scarface's last scene because of that. When Sosa's gunmen storm Tony's mansion, things go out of control as his defense is all improvised, and he uses the mundane environment to the logistics of gunfighting. I can easily relate this to asymmetry as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment