Monday, October 24, 2011

Of Vortexes

In the backyard there's a tree that inspire me to realize ideas. There's also words that make me excited with the undercurrent meaning or phrases that seed thoughts in my mind. I'm calling a Vortex  those elements that stand out for me and that grab my attention and make my mind go astray with wonderings.

They can be elements in the landscape and in a drawing or song that highlight my attention. They can be everywhere, they can be scents or colors, words and ideas, boobs or jokes. They are the sources of my motifs. It's exciting to find an unexplored vortex, as there are motifs to be mined from analyzing it, and unsually a new unexplored vortex becomes something like a new addiction. And one of the characteristics of vortexes is that they never get old (they never run out of undercurrent motifs to be explored). The main melody of a song that seems to be a feeling captured by musical notes or my favorite movies and games are vortexes because they always engage me and make me think of new motifs when reexperiencing it.

I happen to have a "character vortex", which is an essence that can always be explored to create actual characters. So far I've only got one, which I call Ana, since this vortex was born from Silverchair's Ana's Song. Ana's leitmotif is more precisely the "and I need you now somehow" guitar melody. Sometimes when I manage to get immersed in the feelings of that song alone (because my Ana doesn't suffer from anorexia) I can deeply feel the character, sitting on the floor, crying and sobbing, a feeling of bitterness ripping her body apart. There's also Yann Tiersen's first Mouvement Introductif from La Valse des Monstres which actually is a mindscape vortex, as I can picture a whole scenario in my mind. It's an early autumal sunrise, and it feels like a watercolor painting, a park with some benches and some fuchsian flowers (when the violin starts). As there's a feeling of serene love in this mindscape (and sometimes I also feel a slight feeling of sadness) a character can be created from that vortex too, so sometimes I'm not sure how to differ a mindscape from a character vortex, and of course I can explore this boundlessness for creative endeavours.

In my mind my emotional responses also turn out to be motifs that I tame with a name, so they are my mental vortexes, and that's one reason why I entertain myself so easily with my eyes closed. Being aware of the existence of a vortex helps me to develop the Planner's Eye skill, as prime vertices are the nuclear point of origin of the subtle unique characteristics of the image, this uniqueness being a vortex. It's the reason why the eyes and mouths draw my attention, and how I can spend centuries studying and tasting the beauty of femininity.

Sometimes when I'm too long without a vortex nearby I start feeling down or empty inside (that's the reason why I'll listen to songs that remind of what I desire, they imitate the actual vortex). The Blackout that once happened was when vortexes seemed to have stop existing, my greatest worry being the mental ones, the emotional responses. So, as long I can keep vortexes on, I can taste them and mine motifs from them. And my curiosity and enthusiasm to keep developing will keep existing.

So, as the sources of motifs, they are all bounded to it, such as Tasting, Spices, Prime Undertones and Mindscapes. As different as they can be, apparently they will vary in kinds, as the mental and artistic vortexes were already identified. This concept is a vortex in itself, and it has a lot of potential to be unfolded, a whole lot to think about it (mainly because it's one more idea to fit in the whole mess), so this was just an introductory post to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment