Thursday, October 27, 2011

Of Points of Expressivity (crossing the Uncanny Valley)

As desirable as it is, the flexible manipulation of vertices isn't a cure-all resolve. Simply practicing transference will not make me achieve all the skills that are needed, and something that I find as important to go along with it is a much, much bigger concern of mine. It involves something which I call Points of Expressivity.

Basically it means the parts of the human body that are expressive of mood, personality and overall identity. Usually the joints (and angles they form) and movable parts of the body are more clear points of expressivity, but even something as blocky as the chest can express something, as an inflated chest shows pride and confidence.

However, the most nuclear points of expressivity are on the face, as they alone can show pretty much all emotions through it. The mouth and the eyes are the most expressive parts of the body, and I particularly find the eyes the most of them all. It's interesting how everything converges to the eyes, those shining gems that never stop moving, the vortexes to the human soul.

I've been learning in my recent Transference studies that the points of expressivity are where a mastery of the line is most required, as the chance of wronging the angles and lengths of lines rises along with the expressive potential the place has. After all, this is the place where every subtle change for some reason makes the greatest difference in the whole, unlike less expressive areas. For instance, while I may transfer the body lines with a satisfactory success, heads, hands and feet remain in some kind of resistance field that makes all my skill be reduced to a 5-year-old's.

It's weird how lifelikeness is so hard to be tamed. Or how hard it is for us to reproduce it, for that matter. It's what they call Uncanny Valley. And this is my fear, that this is the ultimate challenge, and that I'll never be able to make my way to cross it.

No comments:

Post a Comment