Friday, October 21, 2011

Of Transference

Whenever I'm trying to copy something from reference, there they always are: Locked Vertices, and that vice of reproducing the identity-less template is annoying me. So it turns to be an exercise I end up avoiding, as I fear having the image telling me how bad I'm with Vertex Manipulation. But it's a fear I have to face to improve, so I'll give the skill a fancy name, Transference. So now I know how I can refer to the issue, and I can try building up an emergency mindscape with a panel showing "transference skill: red-low" and a sounding siren screaming "IMPROVE, you bastard".

Transference is in itself the exercise to loosen the Locked Vertices vice, since the challenge to transfer the seen lines to the paper exactly as it is seems to be the nuclear treatment for the issue, if done consistently and with enough discipline (to be honest, this is actually the issue). In theory, my eyes and my hands will have to be more synergical, and my eyes will have to learn the sensibility to compare the equality of the lines, the one being transfered and the one being drawn.

The matter of transference is analogous. It's a quality I also have to improve in my musical skills, since finding the note on my guitar still seems to be the most handicapped, as I have a vice that leads my hand to usually guess the same interval between the notes, instead of letting the difference in the two notes tell the length of interval it needs. I'd say putting my thoughts in words are a matter of transference as well, but I think sometimes it's more of a matter of intersemiotic translation.

Anyway, with discipline, this kind of exercise will loosen the vice and I'll be a step closer to be a master of the lines. And being a master of the lines I'll be able to handle angles and lengths and to manipulate the vertices with flexibility, and so my drawings will have identity, which allows them to be diverse and unique. So I have to work on having discipline and force myself to practice Transference. The Rancor monsters with Joker makeup still turn up and make my gut wrench with disillusion. But Spins always come for the dedicated and hardworking, so I have to work with the feeling of the siren thing bringing pressure, which makes the Sour fuel me.

No comments:

Post a Comment