Sunday, October 23, 2011

Of Planner's Eye and Prime Vertices

What makes logistics so maddening is that every element in logistics has a sublogistic of its own. Transference is one of the subskills needed for the major skill that is drawing, and it has subskills inside it, and it probably keeps fractalizing forever. But luckily I don't feel my mind too overloaded with all this stuff as I'm trying to focus entirely on this section (just slightly unsettled with this kind of parochialism).

There are a few important tricks for transference I've already learned, and I think it's best to write them down. It's interesting how they involve more the eye than the hand. After all, this is again something obvious; if I'm drawing a image I see, I must know what I'm seeing it in order to know what I have to draw.

The Planner's Eye is one of the Transference's subskills, and it's the perfect emphasis on the "know what you're seeing". There's this vice I have that I need to set loose, the vice being the unconscious act of always going directly to drawing without first analysing the image. So, after noticing this I've learned I have to spent more time simply watching and analysing silently the image. The Planner's Eye will help me getting into the work already knowing what elements I must pay attention. 

It all comes back to tasting, learning the uniquety of the elements of the image and how they stand out, and the nuclear angles and lines that stir the overall emotional response towards the the whole image. And this is what the Prime Vertices are, those nuclear points. The whole purpose of the Planner's Eye skill is to collect them. For instance, illustrators who are specialized in making caricatures have keen eyes for identifying the Prime Vertices (and them exaggerating them).

Being honest, I have virtually no experience with this skill (as I used tasting more for self-entertainment and creative endeavours), but I'm quite satisfied at how this seems to be heading me towards the most nuclear origin of my drawing deficiencies.

No comments:

Post a Comment