Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Of acceptance of names

There's one interesting thing that happens when I name things, even if they don't capture the original quintessence. It's curious how things materialized can have an identity of its own with time.

Sometimes I wonder how would it feel if I was in an alternate reality and, instead of chosing the greek Hephaestus as my artist archetype, I had chosen the norse/germanic blacksmith Wayland. For one it wouldn't have its glowing red feeling I'm used to feel when referring to the greek god. It seems I'd feel a certain dark purple that somehow is the color of the emotional response I have from the norse god.

And the same goes for the rest of the names for the Fire Ensemble characters, as I wasn't quite satisfied with most of them. But as it turns out, as I keep using them, my mind gets used to it. Even if Trygve is a weird name (and quite a fail, since it comes from no mythological source), I start to feel intimate to use those letters to identify to that archetype. The same thing happened to Zhu Rong, and the interesting thing is that it becomes a quintessence of its own, as I start associating it with its symbol, the campfire, and as I attribute to him my adventurous nature. And by doing that, the Indiana Jones in me is revived again with maybe even more passion. That's truly one of the weirdest things about the Creator's Paradox.

No comments:

Post a Comment