Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Of too many names

Lately I've been noticing how certain names seem to work better. Some last through generations, while others go dormant and are forgotten. It appears that certain names that last seem to capture the inner quintessence. As I've learned there's basically two ways I name my ideas, and maybe I can get closer to the answer.

First of them is having a quintessence of an idea, and then finding a word that describes it. This is the Traditional Naming. The second one is finding a word that looks interesting, a novelty vortex, and its undercurrent meaning appeals me as new idea, a new motif. I call this Reverse Naming.

For some reason, I've been finding that Reverse Names are to be questioned, because, really, every little word calls my attention, and I want to create motifs from them. This makes it easy to create new ideas (sometimes really fresh new ones), but it is dangerous, because of them dreary Synonyms. Then something happen, something I don't fully understand yet, that is a quintessence being born from these words, instead of using them to name the already existing quintessence inside me, and then something like... twin motifs are born.

It also happens when going for traditional when trying to find names to describe an existing idea or feeling, there's the overload vortex too, as too many words and names would fit the idea. What if, instead of Hephaestus, had I chosen Wayland? And also its variations sound appealing to me: Weiland, Völundr,Velentr, Wielant. If I go around the internet searching for names of gods of fire I feel so tempted to create a character for each one of them. God, I feel so sorry I couldn't use the hindu god of fire, Agni, that's such a badass name. It would sound too close to Áine, though.

So the problem is pretty much, Reverse Naming. Maybe I should stop and control myself against creating things from the outside. Strange, but that sentence called my attention. It sounds really meaningful to me, somehow.

Also, Jesus, this blog was supposed to help me unload my ideas, not to give me a thousand new things to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment