Monday, November 14, 2011

Of Vortex Classification

There was a flaw in this vortex and undercurrents thing that has been bothering me for a while. The issue I've found is that while merging vortexes and diving events I mostly forgot the original meaning I had for vortexes, so it all became a huge snowball, for these grounds that I rushed into are unexpectedly boggy. Maybe the best thing to do is to start again.

A vortex is, as I first thought, anything that calls my attention. They give me ideas, and there's always something to be thought about them, because they're concrete manifestation of an undercurrent, so every little thing can be a vortex. The issue arised when the symptomatic quality of the updated vortex didn't fit with the original one which also featured vortexes as things that seeded thoughts and ideas in my head. So here I'll have to separate them in categories. The way I categorized Mindscapes seemed to work fine to me, as each experience could be several of each definition.

The first one is the Symptomatic Vortex, the concrete manifestation of an undercurrent, or the first braudelian level, facts, being hint to the unseen third level, structure. For instance, coins and money bills are vortexes to the capitalism. These outdoors and signs that make me realize I live in one of the southern states of Brazil (which I mention on the post about Unseen Things), are also symptomatic vortexes.

They call our attention because of our desire and curiosity to learn the meaning, force, story or technique behind it. For instance, my dogs always call my attention, and I end up thinking of all that is life because of them (sometimes the adaptativity of life, domestication, offspring variation, but it usually calls my attention their curiosity and how they seem to think - at least in an emotive, intuitive way, like emotional responses).

We all enjoy a pretty view, right?
And although the way Symptomatic Vortexes are pretty simple and straight-forward, so far I could identify some peculiarities about them.

Repetition Vortex: it's when some event or fact repeats itself, it calls our attention as we start creating patterns. If a symptomatic vortex can make us create an opinion and argument, the repeated vortex fortifies the opinion.

Obvious Vortex: when something calls our attention because it's a glaring and undeniably obvious proof, example, fact. It's easy for everybody to see. Can also be called Watermelon-on-your-head Vortex.

Experienced Vortex: It's the case of the vortex that's only noticeable by experienced persona. The example here are diseases that are diagnosed by experienced doctor, or engineering flaws the layman can't notice. It's the opposite of the watermelon vortex.

And then, I start to notice sometimes things call our attention for other reasons, other than analytical curiosity. Sometimes I simply find myself attracted to certain things in an emotional way, and these are the Desire Vortexes (they're still symptomatic, but they're only symptoms of my desires).

Undertone Vortex: Sometimes thing call our attention because they remind me of things that appeal me. It's a symptom of a Prime Undertone. For instance, violets  represent the Fuchsian Flowers, a pine reminds me of Eerie and Rustic (also, they're symptoms of Áine and Trygve).

Also a Prime Undertone: Fogginess (or is it Rainy?)
Spice Vortex: These are the spicy details that enhance the experience. Flowery trees easily stand out in a landscape for me, because they add some flavor to the view with its colors.

Fused Vortex: something that calls our attention because it reminds us of something or someone else. When in love everything that reminds us of our love call our attention.

Obsession Vortex: When nothing but a certain kind of things call our attention. When too much in love, nothing but Fused Vortexes call our attention.

Distracting Vortex: It's when things call our attention when they shouldn't. Sometimes I have to focus on my studies and the sky outside keeps attracting my attention. It overlaps with Obssession Vortexes.

Vortex Overload: It's when everything calls so much your attention you can't focus on anything. It's the matter of being too interested or too inspired. Everything will be a distracting vortex. It always happen to me when reading about a new subject that gives me too many names. Or when I'm in class and every sentence makes me wonder beyond the world about the very subject - and that's the thing, it's distracting even though we're not thinking about something else.

Novelty Vortex: Unlike undertone vortex which things call our attention because they remind us of something we already like, the novelties are things that call our attention because they're new and fresh. When find unexplored material, every part of it will bring about a vortex overload.

Sparkle Vortex: Sometimes something or someone will call so much my attention that it basically creates an idea in my mind. It's the case of the guitar melody that is Ana's leitmotif, or the violins in that Yann Tiersen song that makes me think of flowers.

Mindscape Vortex: Something that wouldn't call our attention if it wasn't for a mindscape. Let's say we're waiting for the bus, and suddenly the solo that has just started matches for some reason with the tree across the street (which never called your attention before this Soundtracked Mindscape). As it calls your attention now, it can spring to be a novelty vortex, and possibly even a sparkle one.

And I think this is pretty much it for now. While I haven't been able to analyze every thing that calls my attention and there's a lot to be explored yet (such as people being vortexs, and the desire and fear of myself being a vortex to other people). This motif is a ground that needs a lot of improvement, but these will do the trick for now. But as a note to myself: improve your vocabulary, it called the attention how much that expression was overused.

No comments:

Post a Comment