Saturday, November 19, 2011

Of composed identity

Some quintessences that are hard to be put in words, and they always need time to spring into a developed concept. This is one of these charging posts, and with it I'll slowly develop my mind on this idea of forming and learning the identity of things.

Our identity is, apparently, formed by more than our personality and appearance (and name). It seems to go beyond the the metaphorical roads we choose and grounds we tread, but also the literal ones. All the physical world that surrounds us seem to build our own identity. Here we go about the mindscapes only people who live in the same city can experience, therefore creating unique undertones unique to those people, and so, the chance to develop a unique cultural identity. It's one of those things I like to think, about how geographicalities influence culture, such as the drastic contrast between the dryness of the desert and the fertility on the borders of the Nilo river made the ancient egyptians develop a highly dualistic culture about life and death.

All the things that surround me are part of my identity. For instance, the actors of the movies I like somehow seem to be part of my identity, like Harrison Ford. Or maybe that guy who makes the best hollywood posters, Drew Struzan. Or maybe that person who plays that beautifully eerie fiddle in the first Otyg album (I don't know for sure if it's Cia Hedmark). Also the trees my neighbour has chosen also end up being part of my identity, as I see them in a daily basis. It's ecause even things that aren't really a choice or action of my own are still in me. And that's a disturbing thought, from a certain point of view, as I think of all the disgusting things my father does and that I have to live with.

So let's go on about the sense of place again. All the little things help create it, the vegetation, climate, architecture, the people that live around here (and their origins), society's mentality and even the name of that little grocery store, they all are what compose the place's identity (it's a symptomatic vortex of the Genius Loci). As it goes with the Unseen Mindscape, we slowly grow unable to recognize and feel the world and life around us (and our own identity along with it), so one can always feel it again by playing something I've already mentioned before, the Cardinal Twist.

With the help of a mirroring surface, we can really see the world with reverse cardinal points (a little bit of closed eyes and imagination does the trick too). There we feel attracted to our world in reverse inside that mirrorland, where the sun sets and shadows strech along towards the other side of the world. It calls our attention as it makes us aware of things we are long too numb to notice about the identity of our own world and self.

No comments:

Post a Comment