Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Of alphabetical impressions

Although this whole addiction to find new ideas everyday is quite recent, I think I always had this thing for analyzing things. In my teen years I had one or another theories, but when I think about it, even as a kid I had these strange obsessions and curiosities.

I quite underestimate my past selves, but in the end I always had this curious side. I remember when I was aged 6 or something and I used to have speech and language problems, so my mother took me to a phonoaudiologist and after some months of speech therapy I was talking like a normal kid. But then I remember that because of that I was paying attention to the sound of words and the letters. It's funny how I already had a category for things even back then: there were fat letters and thin letters, and they were pairs of dualities (of cooourse a 6-year-old knew what a duality was). For instance, B was a fat letter, P was a thin one; T was a thin letter, D was the fat one. It was all in portuguese, but even in english this differentiation happens to some extent.

And recently I've been thinking of letters again, and how I have one different emotional response from each one. I've always noticed how "V" and "Z" sound really technological and modern. Maybe because of words like Vector and Zeta. "A" is definitely a feminine letter (but maybe that's because in portuguese, though "O" doesn't really sound masculine). I haven't payed attention to how each letter works for me (and I already have too many quests, I can't start any kind of Alphabetical Impressions mission now), but that's a matter of paying attention to my reaction to words and why they make me feel the way I do ("reaction" deserves to be analyzed).

If one day I manage to understand how I react to letters and words it would help me improving my word-tasting habits, and also'd help me creating names for characters (I'm dead-sure JK Rowling made this exercise herself). But the best of all, maybe I could also understand why the name Wayland really makes me think of deep purple (the color), even though I can't be considered a synesthetic person.

No comments:

Post a Comment