Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Of Outframing Principle

The amount of effort I’ve been trying to accomplish goals has always been my area of concern. It feels fundamental to me that I can know that I am doing enough to get to where I want. Though I am delaying to define what I want, I like knowing I have a good preparation for it. And one nice sign that I’ve been perceiving to be a good one is something I’ve been calling Outframing Principle.

This is another idea that comes from playing games. One day I decided to think about level design and how far designers let me experience the scenario. For instance, these mountains beyond the forest are created to go beyond the treetops. If I can see the background polygons ending midair, the immersion plummets.

The idea of Outframing is, then, about doing more effort than is shown. It’s being more prepared than the exigencies. It’s about studying more than questions will cover. When your efforts are perceived to encase the frame, or even shorter, there’s a feeling of phony effort.

The idea covers any work that goes to the public, or even any work at all. It doesn’t matter what’s going to be perceived, there must be hidden layers that go out the frame. I assume there’s mystery that comes with the unpublished material, and so there could be a gusto effect related to this.

This principle is something I’ve been I try unknowingly applying on this blog. I have developed a behind-the-curtains methodology for writing the texts, but it doesn’t need to be perceived. But the mere fact that I am writing more than what is in the final release shows that being able to select the material for the final product seems to give it a slight bonus of quality.