Thursday, January 31, 2013

Of Goldilocks Period


I’m afraid this could bring another series of thoughts that will mess up my thoughts more than helping , but I was thinking about “lifeframes”. I don’t know whether it’ll lead me anywhere, but if anything, this period of life I’m about to mention could be inside it.

There is a period in life when time doesn’t seem to exist, it’s just a long period of similar patterns and steady routine that indicate a generation inside one’s life, and I’m calling this the Goldilocks Period. “Remember the time when we used to…” or “I’ll tell you a tale that happened in the golden days of…” are examples of this. It’s about the memories of times “when we used to go on adventures in the neighborhood/nearby woods”, or “when we used to hang out and drink and do shit until it was dawn”, or “when we used to go to parties and get the ladies”.

In entertainment it is about a certain status quo of the story that is the moment mostly recalled. It’s about that core routine that is remembered in definitions. There is a time when the Rebel Alliance stands a real annoyance to the Empire, and their sabotaging of imperial facilities spans through most of the trilogy.

Tolkien’s grounds are interesting to understand this. In The Hobbit the whole journey doesn’t change from beginning to end. It’s all the same ensemble, there’s no loss or any other massive change in the plot line, it’s all about the routine of getting in trouble and being rescued by Gandalf. But in Lord of the Rings the Fellowship of the Ring travels to Mordor. And the breaking of the fellowship, for instance, brings an end to that period and starts another period when all members are scattered around middle-earth, though this one is already too unstable to be considered a Goldilocks Period. (there’s a lot of unresolved subtleties in there).

It can also be these glorious days of the past of characters that was never explored but was always mentioned. That can be explored when the series is over, like the period between the first Metroid and the second one, because after that there’s only one metroid left and there are not many possibilities of stories as in that period.

Here in this blog it can be this time when I used to have the routine of having those days when I felt so lost and I was trying to get answers and I would go around writing down every thought I had wherever I was, or then getting home and turning off all lights and staying up until late at night writing and write thirty posts every month, and working with my stringed story. And when I think about it, it’s still happening already, I’m in an never-ending quest of developing the underdeveloped, and that’s one interesting thing, the way the Goldilocks Period is felt mostly when it’s over.

No comments:

Post a Comment