Monday, September 30, 2013

Of coping with choices and consequences

Sure I feel sometimes I abuse the terms worst and best and hardest and easiest around here. I think it has to do with the mindtrap that makes us always see the present moment as the most intense and importante moment we have, but I’ve trying to avoid it the most I can. However, I must say, choices are one of the hardest things to do in life.

Choices aren’t ever easy. They are not choices if they are. Choices are never about doing the right and wrong, the good and bad. There’s no path of siths and jedis or renegades and paragons. One can do the wrong by thinking they’re choosing the right thing.

They will always give us two options to choose from, and you’re lucky if one of them has converging advantages that will make the picking easy, but usually I find only options that have an amazingly balanced set of advantages and disadvantages, though not exactly in that spot when both options are good enough. Letting go of one of them has always to be a pain.

And if choosing is hard, coping with consequences is even more complicated.

Last weeks I’ve been paying attention to decisions I make. Inevitably some choices that seemed so right turned out to be so destructive, because I couldn’t see small details that would just ruin all the strategy of my decisions. And then, we base our choices on our circunstances, but boy these are smartasses. Taking your decision in account, they will rapidly change, and, seriously, in a matter of a week what seemed to be the best decision is now a deeply regretted one.

No comments:

Post a Comment