Friday, November 30, 2012

Of Moebius’ Measurement


While I try to measure reality through release and restraint or risk and reward, there is this other one idea I have for measuring art approaches. As I flirt with this three-lettered abbreviation, I call it QNT and QLT as for Quantitative and Qualitative. Also, it’s unfortunate as I couldn’t have them belonging to the select R&R group.

This seems to be a way to measure my skills. Quantitative efforts are those that are technical and impressively detailed. Qualitative are harder to achieve, as you can’t convey details and have to master the few strokes you have. You have to convey more information in lesser details.

It seems that to a certain period of our life we would try getting our skills to reach the farthest limit, but then, as we reach the top, we start getting less worried about it. I think we start being concerned about much simpler things. It would be the change from QNT to QLT.

But I didn’t make this idea of quantitative and qualitative approaches, it’s a Worldly Teaching in its purest form. This is my chance to be honest and give due credits to the one I learned the concept from. It’s the opening introduction of Moebius’ “Is man good?”, when he states how in this work he opted for the challenge of keeping it simple and still making his art have this dense quintessence to it.