Friday, November 30, 2012

Of Obsidian (the forgotten 28th gem)


Rambling through my notes I’ve found something that made me so ashamed of my poor management when I’ve found this gem I had to be added just with Topaz and Onyx and Pearl. And Diamond. And Steel. Somehow I had it completely forgotten, but then again those days I didn’t really have my thoughts really straight.

Obsidian means the beauty of space: galaxies, nebulae, quasars, pulsars, spinning planets and blazing stars. It’s the passion of astrophysics and space exploration. It’s seeing the moonrise over the horizon with the amateur telescope my godfather once gave me, looking for all its craters in its waning horizon. It’s the celestial search for planets, and weighing realization that the bodies in the skies are insanely huge balls floating around the black ether.

It’s related to Chrysoberyl when the moon rises in the sky before nightfall, and Lazulite as magical and wondrous the universe seems to be when I see the Milky Way poured across the sky. This gem is about night skies when there’s the cold breeze and countless dots blinking scattered over the dark blue velvet. It makes me think of summer nights staying awake until late, lying on grass and thinking about all the dimension of the universe and searching for solar system planets to be the lone remnants when the sunrise approaches.

The importance of Obsidian is in making for the perception of the world a little broader. After all, one thing is to watch the sky and the stars, and it’s something else to see the stars while fully realizing they’re distant giant bodies glowing. The experience of Obsidian is not accessible from anywhere, but once it can be felt it is a very enthralling experience.

As a last note, Obsidian has become such a chaotic droplet to gems as I’m finding it to disturb my choice of using Opal (and I’m afraid of this crack being the beginning of  some downfall ignited by a snowball of interdependent vertices). Maybe I should change meaning with Opal, as Opal would represent constellations and nebula clouds better, mainly because obsidian rocks couldn’t be more earthly in its volcanic origins (but chosen because it sounds otherworldly). I’ll give it a try without obligation. If in a month it works, Opal will become the celestial and astronomical, while Obsidian will represent the broken and… burned…