Friday, August 31, 2012

Of Spiegelman’s Metawork

It comes from the graphic novel called Maus. It’s the author emphasis not only to the story but also on how it was made. It shows him approaching his father to tell his experience in Auschwitz to write the novel, and there’s also the reception of the audience, including his own guilt about how he portrayed his father.

This idea is about the exposure of the whole project. The writer exposes himself questioning, being in doubt on choices to make. The certain tone of confusion and insecurity that is revealed might make it less appealing, but that’s what I appreciate in it the most. It’s an idea that makes it so much more personal, and I like it very much as it makes the piece of work more honest, less mystified.

There’s a connection to this place in the way I’m not only talking about my ideas, but also thinking about the behind-the-curtains. I’m not only trying to tell a story with characters based on my emotions, but I am also going step by step. I am always afraid of unresolved subtleties and cracks. I am always worried about names not working, marbles being split, the quintessence not being added to the work.

As I’ve read the book while I was already doing this like this in here, it might not really be a worldly lesson, but rather a confirmation that makes more at ease with the way I’m leading it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment